Friday, June 20, 2014

ROTD : Mommy's Magical Cake

Hello People!

Presenting Recipe Of The Day (ROTD) - Mommy's Magical Cake (the humble vanilla cake)

Today i'm going share my mommy's cake recipe which is simple to make and is without oil/eggs. I don't recall getting a cake from store ever on any of my childhood birthdays. It's the cake I grew up, celebrating every birthday with and so, is really close to my heart. And as special as our dear parents are. Dedicating my first recipe post to them. Come lets bake some joy for ourselves :)

Ingredients:
2 cups maida
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk cream (malai - one of the best way to use that piling lot in our refrigerators)
2 spoon baking powder (flatten the heap with finger)
2 pinch baking soda
1/2 cup milk
Few chopped walnuts
Few drops of vanilla essence (optional)

Method
1. Sieve all the dry ingredients (maida, baking powder and baking soda) thrice to ensure even mixing. 
2. Beat sugar with milk cream in a blender till satin smooth. 
3. Fold in the dry ingredients in a bowl to this mixture with milk and beat with spatula in clockwise direction. Make sure you do this for a while (about 10 mins) without changing the direction.
4. Mix in vanilla essence, walnuts and pour in a greased baking tray.
5. Pre-heat oven at 180 deg C and bake untill a knife inserted comes clean (about 40-50 mins) and enjoy the goodness of some self baked joy.



Tips that may help from my experience:
1. To make it chocolate cake I simple add cocoa powder (4-5 tbsp) as I like it rich and 1 cup milk.
2. If baking in microwave you can choose convection mode and add in more milk for added moisture.
3. After the cake is half baked, you ,may cover it with foil to save the top from getting too crusty. 
4. It helps taking out the milk cream out of the refrigerator a couple of hours in advance.
5. I have tried adding other variants without any issue - Almond, coconut shreds / orange zest in chocolate one etc.
6. I love walnuts in every bite of my cake but it can optional.
7. I have also heard of wrapping wet towel around the baking tray for even baking, though I haven't yet tried it myself.





So go ahead, give it try and make use of that milk cream lying in your fridge ;) Do let me know how it turned out in comments.

Happy Baking :) 

Cheers!
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment